updated 9/10/21 MLG
COVID-19 INFORMATION FOR FALL TERM: We have updated our COVID-19 preparedness plan for the Fall, effective starting September 1st. Fully vaccinated individuals can take in-person lessons at CIM this year. The only exception to this policy is for students who are under 12 who are not eligible for vaccination. These students may have the option of in-person lessons, pending permission from admin, instructors and parents/guardians. Online lessons and classes will continue to be an option for all students for the foreseeable future.
OUR 2021-22 SCHOOL CALENDAR IS LIVE. While some dates are subject to change, we will communicate updates via email. You can also add the Center for Irish Music's Calendar (linked below under "Admin-related links") to your Google account. If you haven't been receiving emails from us recently, please email email@example.com to be added to our mailing list.
EXCELLENT FLUTE & WHISTLE MASKS FOR SALE - ACCEPTING ONGOING ORDERS CIM instructor and master seamstress, Mattie Ernst has designed some effective flute and whistle masks for us. Mattie and CIM director, Norah Rendell, worked together to create designs for both flute and whistle players that are easy to wear while playing. There are two flute mask designs, and one whistle design.
While they might not be as fashionable as Gucci sunglasses, they are available in three different fabric designs! And more importantly, they will help you to get out into public and play flute and whistle in every context safely!
We recommend that CIM flute & whistle players purchase one of these. In the pandemic, flute and whistle have become awkward instruments to play, and we still have many months until all of our students and community members have access to the vaccine.
Photos of the masks, fabric and sizing options are available to view on Mattie's site, Ernest Threads. Order your masks here: https://studio.earnestthreads.com/masks/
2021 COMMON TUNES - Have you been learning the new common rep? Check out the full list of tunes and resources on our 2021 Common Tunes page! CIM students of all ages can also join Mary Vanorny's Common Tune Session on Wednesday evenings every other week this Fall. The first session is September 15! To register for the Fall session, click here.
TECH TIPS FOR ONLINE LESSONS: Visit our google doc here including a handy and quick guide on how to adjust your sound settings on zoom. As you make your daily home schedules, be sure to include Irish music practice. Playing your tunes and singing your songs will help you to feel calm, and “at home” during this unprecedented time of uncertainty.
- September 7 - First day of Fall Term
- September 13 - Youth Ensembles begin this week
- October 8 - Pints & Polkas, Volunteer Than You Party
- October 21-22 - CIM is open for MEA
- Financial Aid Application - Due on August 15th (Fall Term), December 15th (Spring Term), May 15th (Summer/Minnesota Irish Music Weekend)
The Center for Irish Music welcomes students of any age and level! We love our students and are so happy to have you as a part of our traditional Irish music family. Please take a moment to peruse our website. In addition to information about the CIM, this website includes a wealth of information about the local Twin Cities Irish music scene. Here are some useful online spots, both for admin and music.
- Bookmark this page! - for student announcements, upcoming dates, performances etc.
- CIM's Facebook page is very active. "Like" our page and follow what we are up to.
- CIM Calendar - We have a google calendar for CIM classes and events.
- CIM newsletter - All CIM students are automatically signed up for our monthly newsletter. If you are not receiving our e-newsletter, please sign up on the newsletter page, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. All newsletters are archived on our newsletter page.
- CIM Policies - if you ever need to refer to our policies for private lessons or classes, they are here!
- YOUR student portal!! You have a student portal with our online registration system, where you can access your account, see when your lessons are and view your past enrollment. Click on the "Student Portal" link at the upper right-hand corner of every page of our site! Contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
- CIM Common Repertoire - (under the "Resources" tab). Every few years, we develop an online resource of tunes for our students. This is a great place to learn tunes that your fellow students will know. We have released a 2020 common repertoire!
- Recitals - we hold two recitals a year for all of our students and encourage ALL of you to participate. Our recitals are one of the BEST places to meet new musical friends and families.
- Local Sessions - be a part of the Twin Cities' vibrant tune-playing community by going to listen or play at a session! Don't be shy. . . You may even be able to convince your instructor to go with you—or maybe he or she is already there every week! Former CIM instructor Tom Lockney runs a learner's session at Keegan's pub on Sundays from 4-6pm that many of our students attend.
- Instrument Resources - Find out about our instrument rental program and read a brief overview of where/how to buy Irish traditional instruments and recommendations of local businesses that will help you with repairs. This information comes directly from our instructors - they are your best resource for any instrument-related questions!
- Local Music Competitions & Midwest Fleadh Cheoil pages - for those of you who benefit from the pressure of a good, solid deadine (that is likely most of you)! We highly recommend these opportunities, particularly for under-18 musicians, as a way to improve and increase your enjoyment of the music.
CIM Google Calendar
We keep this google calendar up to date with events, classes, workshops, board meetings and event planning committee meetings.
Visit this google document to learn about how to stay connected to things at CIM!