updated 5/3/19 HCM
MIM Registration - Registration for Minnesota Irish Music Weekend is now open. Visit our MIM page for more information! The early bird registration deadline for MIM is May 15, after which the prices will be going up, so get your registration in! Any problems with MIM registration, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Recitals - Our Youth Recitals will be at 1pm, 2:30pm, and 4:00pm on Sunday, May 12. Please talk to your child's instructor about what they will be playing, and what recital to plan on attending! As a general rule, students under 12 are in the 1st recital, students aged 12-13 plus Swallowtail, Starling, and Ceili bands are in the 2nd recital, and students aged 14+ and Wren ensemble plus the U18 Grúpa Ceoil will be in the 3rd recital. Sign up to volunteer at the recitals here!
Adult Student Open Mic - Please note the date: Saturday, May 18 from 7 to 9 pm. Please sign up in advance for a time with our handy sign-up genius! As usual, there will be a potluck. We are also looking for volunteers for set up and tear down, as well as a photographer. Sign up to volunteer here (scroll to bottom!).
Young Learner's Session - May 18, 10-11:30am. Come and play tunes with Mary Vanorny in the Multi-Purpose room in the CIM's space!
Financial Aid Applications - We are accepting Summer/MIM applications for financial aid. Applicants only need 1 application for both MIM and Summer Term, and current financial aid recipients do not need to re-submit financial information. See our full financial aid page here, and direct any questions to Hannah CM. We are increasing funding to our financial aid program to support our values of community and accessibility for all. If you think you would benefit from financial aid for lessons and classes, please apply!
Summer Registration - Summer group classes are up and Hannah is accepting requests for Summer Term lessons!
- January 28 - May 26 - Spring Term
- May 12 - Spring Youth Recitals: 1pm, 2:30pm, 4pm
- May 15 - Financial Aid Application Deadline
- May 18 - Spring Adult Student Open Mic, 7-9pm NEW DATE
- May 18 - Young Learners' Session @ CIM, 10-11:30am
- May 20 - Registration Deadline for returning students to keep lesson times for Summer Term
- May 27 - CIM Closed for Memorial Day
- May 28 - Registration Deadline for 5% family discount
- May 28-June 3 - Make-up week for missed/rescheduled lessons in Spring Term
- June 10 - First day of Summer Term
- June 14-16 - Minnesota Irish Music Weekend!
- July 4 - CIM closed for Independence Day
The Center for Irish Music welcomes students of any age and level! We love our students and are so happy to have you as a part of our traditional Irish music family. Please take a moment to peruse our website. In addition to information about the CIM, this website includes a wealth of information about the local Twin Cities Irish music scene. Here are some useful online spots, both for admin and music.
- Bookmark this page! - for student announcements, upcoming dates, performances etc.
- CIM's Facebook page is very active. "Like" our page and follow what we are up to.
- Important CIM Dates - we publish a pdf of important dates on our calendar page. We also do our best to keep our google calendar up to date (also on the calendar page).
- CIM newsletter - All CIM students are automatically signed up for our monthly newsletter. If you are not receiving our e-newsletter, please sign up on the newsletter page, or contact us at email@example.com. All newsletters are archived on our newsletter page.
- CIM Policies - if you ever need to refer to our policies for private lessons or classes, they are here!
- YOUR student portal!! You have a student portal with our online registration system, where you can access your account, see when your lessons are and view your past enrollment. Click on the "Student Portal" link at the upper right-hand corner of every page of our site! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- CIM Common Repertoire - (under the "Resources" tab). Every few years, we develop an online resource of tunes for our students. This is a great place to learn tunes that your fellow students will know. We are currently working on a 2016 common repertoire.
- Recitals - we hold two recitals a year for all of our students and encourage ALL of you to participate. Our recitals are one of the BEST places to meet new musical friends and families.
- Local Sessions - be a part of the Twin Cities' vibrant tune-playing community by going to listen or play at a session! Don't be shy. . . You may even be able to convince your instructor to go with you—or maybe he or she is already there every week! Former CIM instructor Tom Lockney runs a learner's session at Keegan's pub on Sundays from 4-6pm that many of our students attend.
- Instruments FAQ page - there is a small amount of information about where/how to buy Irish traditional instruments and recommendations of local businesses that will help you with repairs. This information comes directly from our instructors - they are your best resource for any instrument-related questions!
- Local Music Competitions & Midwest Fleadh Cheoil pages - for those of you who benefit from the pressure of a good, solid deadine (that is likely most of you)! We highly recommend these opportunities, particularly for under-18 musicians, as a way to improve and increase your enjoyment of the music.
CIM Google Calendar
We keep this google calendar up to date with events, classes, workshops, board meetings and event planning committee meetings.
Visit this google document to learn about how to stay connected to things at CIM!