updated 11/20/20 MLG
WREATHS FOR SALE: We are selling fresh wreaths and garlands through Lynch Creek Farms. 15%-20% of the sales will support CIM’s ensemble program. Order yours to be sent directly to your doorstep here. These wreaths are beautiful!
JUST ADDED - MORE COMMON TUNES SESSIONS IN JANUARY: We've extended Mary Vanorny's Common Tune session to include 3 more dates in January: January 8, January 13, and January 22! If you've already registered, you're all set for January! New participants can find more information and register here.
YOUTH RECITALS: Due to logisitcal complications with COVID-19, we have decided to cancel the Advanced Youth Ensemble planned for November 21, and will offer a Youth Ensemble Recital on January 24 at 3:00pm. Our upcoming Fall Youth Recitals are scheduled for December 6 and 13 - check out our recital page to sign up for a spot!
ADULT STUDENT OPEN MIC: To accomodate our growing group of adult students, we have added a second Open Mic! In addition to December 4, mark your calendars for the Fall Adult Student Open Mic 2 concert on January 22 from 7-9 pm. Use the Sign Up Genius link here to sign up for a spot during the December 4 Fall Adult Student Open Mic!
FALL REGISTRATION IS STILL OPEN! Register for group classes and ensembles for all ages on our registration site, and contact Registration Coordinator Lily Gaetgaeow at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for private lessons.
COVID-19 INFORMATION: The Center for Irish Music is offering all Fall programs in a virtual format for the duration of the Fall term (September 8-January 31). We would much prefer to be with you at our classrooms at the Celtic Junction. However, with the safety of our intergenerational community in mind—including students, instructors, and family members—online instruction is our best option. If our leadership deems it safe to meet in person before the end of the fall term, we will share that information with our students right away.
TECH TIPS FOR ONLINE LESSONS: Visit our google doc here including a handy and quick guide on how to adjust your sound settings on zoom. As you make your daily home schedules, be sure to include Irish music practice. Playing your tunes and singing your songs will help you to feel calm, and “at home” during this unprecedented time of uncertainty.
2020 Common Tunes - Have you been learning the new common rep? Check out the full list of tunes and resources on our 2020 Common Tunes page! CIM students of all ages can also join Mary's Common Tune Session on Friday afternoons!
- November 23 - CIM is OPEN.
- November 24-29 - CIM is CLOSED for Thanksgiving Break. No lessons or classes this week.
- December 4 - Fall Adult Student Open Mic 1, 7-9pm
- December 6 - Fall Youth Recitals, 2pm & 3:30 pm
- December 13 - Fall Youth Recitals, 2pm & 3:30 pm
- December 21- January 3: CIM is CLOSED for Winter Break.
- Financial Aid Application - Due on the 15th of the month before a new term starts.
The Center for Irish Music welcomes students of any age and level! We love our students and are so happy to have you as a part of our traditional Irish music family. Please take a moment to peruse our website. In addition to information about the CIM, this website includes a wealth of information about the local Twin Cities Irish music scene. Here are some useful online spots, both for admin and music.
- Bookmark this page! - for student announcements, upcoming dates, performances etc.
- CIM's Facebook page is very active. "Like" our page and follow what we are up to.
- CIM Calendar - We have a google calendar for CIM classes and events.
- CIM newsletter - All CIM students are automatically signed up for our monthly newsletter. If you are not receiving our e-newsletter, please sign up on the newsletter page, or contact us at email@example.com. All newsletters are archived on our newsletter page.
- CIM Policies - if you ever need to refer to our policies for private lessons or classes, they are here!
- YOUR student portal!! You have a student portal with our online registration system, where you can access your account, see when your lessons are and view your past enrollment. Click on the "Student Portal" link at the upper right-hand corner of every page of our site! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- CIM Common Repertoire - (under the "Resources" tab). Every few years, we develop an online resource of tunes for our students. This is a great place to learn tunes that your fellow students will know. We have released a 2020 common repertoire!
- Recitals - we hold two recitals a year for all of our students and encourage ALL of you to participate. Our recitals are one of the BEST places to meet new musical friends and families.
- Local Sessions - be a part of the Twin Cities' vibrant tune-playing community by going to listen or play at a session! Don't be shy. . . You may even be able to convince your instructor to go with you—or maybe he or she is already there every week! Former CIM instructor Tom Lockney runs a learner's session at Keegan's pub on Sundays from 4-6pm that many of our students attend.
- Instrument Resources - Find out about our instrument rental program and read a brief overview of where/how to buy Irish traditional instruments and recommendations of local businesses that will help you with repairs. This information comes directly from our instructors - they are your best resource for any instrument-related questions!
- Local Music Competitions & Midwest Fleadh Cheoil pages - for those of you who benefit from the pressure of a good, solid deadine (that is likely most of you)! We highly recommend these opportunities, particularly for under-18 musicians, as a way to improve and increase your enjoyment of the music.
CIM Google Calendar
We keep this google calendar up to date with events, classes, workshops, board meetings and event planning committee meetings.
Visit this google document to learn about how to stay connected to things at CIM!