updated 11/18/19 HCM
CIM LOGOWEAR ORDERS - Wear your CIM pride! We have an order of logowear open, with items to be available by December 17. Printed forms are available in the lobby, and a google form is available here. ORDERS DUE NOV 20.
Advanced Youth Ensemble Concert, November 23, 3-5pm - Mark your calendars for our annual celebration of our Advanced Youth Ensemble's hard work! All proceeds for this concert go to the CIM Travel Fund. Tickets are $5/person or $20/family. Tickets can be purchased through Paypal here and through ASAP here! We are in need of a few more volunteers as well, to help the concert and intermission snacks/cider go well. You can see available shifts and sign up here.
Fall Adult Open Mic and Youth Recitals - Our Fall Adult Open Mic is December 6, 7-9pm. Sign up to perform here!
Youth Recitals will be December 8, and students will be divided over 4 recitals at 12pm, 1:30pm, 3pm, and 4:30pm. For more details about youth recitals, please visit our Recitals page. We will need volunteers to help the days go smoothly! See available volunteer opportunities here.
Irish Poetry in Translation, 5 Tuesdays 8:00-9:00 - Beginning 12/3, this late-start class with Dáithí Sproule is open for registration! The focus of this series of classes will be Irish language poetry from the 16th century up to now. The group will read and discuss a variety of wonderful examples of our rich tradition in translation, and Dáithí looks forward to students bringing their own particular interests and loves to the conversation. Register here!
Lynch Creek Wreaths Fundraiser - Thinking about decorating your house for the holidays? 15%-20% of all sales through our team link will go to the Youth Travel Fund in support of students who travel to the Midwest Fleadh and All-Ireland Fleadh. Just order online and fresh wreaths or garlands will be delivered to your door!
Vote for Center Irish Music with Target Circle! - The more votes the CIM gets between now and January 5th, the more money we will receive from Target's community giving program. You can vote for the Center for Irish Music as your nonprofit of choice with each shopping trip! You will also get 1% back on every purchase with a Target Circle account.
Sign up for the Target Circle program (the new version of Cartwheel). Download the app and/or create an account here. If you already have an account, simply log in and go from there. Thank you. Every little bit helps the CIM to offer high quality Irish music programs!
CONGRATULATIONS to Hannah Flowers and Adrienne O'Shea, the 2019 recipients of the Elizabeth Dillon Redshaw Memorial Scholarship for young adult musicians. The goal of the scholarship is to develop leadership in the local community by encouraging and enabling musicians to continue their studies in Irish music their young adult years. Scholarship recipients demonstrate that they have the skill, drive, inspiration and potential to become lifelong traditional Irish musicians, and have also shown an interest in teaching music. The scholarship was donated to the CIM by Thomas Dillon Redshaw, in honor of his late mother, Elizabeth Dillon Redshaw. As an educator himself (Director of University of St. Thomas' Center for Irish Studies), he understands how crucial it is to develop local leadership and expertise, and has pledged to fund this scholarship for three years.
- November 14 - Give to the Max Day! Session from 11:30am-1pm.
- November 23 - 3-5pm, Advanced Youth Ensemble Concert
- November 25 - CIM Open Monday of Thanksgiving Week
- November 26-December 1 - CIM Closed
- December 6 - 7:00-9:00pm, Adult Student Open Mic
- December 8 - 12:00pm, 1:30pm, 3:00pm, 4:30pm - Youth Fall Recitals
- December 15 - Financial aid application deadline for Spring Term
- December 22-January 4 - CIM Closed
- January 5 - Fall Term classes & lessons resume
- January 6 - Spring Term registration deadline for returning students to keep lesson times
- January 16 - Registration Deadline for group classes & family discount
- January 20 - CIM Closed for MLK, Jr Day
- January 21-26 - Fall Term Make-up Week
- January 27 - FIRST DAY OF SPRING TERM
- Printable 2019-2020 Calendar
- Financial Aid Application - Due on the 15th of the month before a new term starts.
The Center for Irish Music welcomes students of any age and level! We love our students and are so happy to have you as a part of our traditional Irish music family. Please take a moment to peruse our website. In addition to information about the CIM, this website includes a wealth of information about the local Twin Cities Irish music scene. Here are some useful online spots, both for admin and music.
- Bookmark this page! - for student announcements, upcoming dates, performances etc.
- CIM's Facebook page is very active. "Like" our page and follow what we are up to.
- CIM Calendar - We have a google calendar for CIM classes and events. For our "Important Dates" printable calendar, see above!
- CIM newsletter - All CIM students are automatically signed up for our monthly newsletter. If you are not receiving our e-newsletter, please sign up on the newsletter page, or contact us at email@example.com. All newsletters are archived on our newsletter page.
- CIM Policies - if you ever need to refer to our policies for private lessons or classes, they are here!
- YOUR student portal!! You have a student portal with our online registration system, where you can access your account, see when your lessons are and view your past enrollment. Click on the "Student Portal" link at the upper right-hand corner of every page of our site! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- CIM Common Repertoire - (under the "Resources" tab). Every few years, we develop an online resource of tunes for our students. This is a great place to learn tunes that your fellow students will know. We are currently working on a 2016 common repertoire.
- Recitals - we hold two recitals a year for all of our students and encourage ALL of you to participate. Our recitals are one of the BEST places to meet new musical friends and families.
- Local Sessions - be a part of the Twin Cities' vibrant tune-playing community by going to listen or play at a session! Don't be shy. . . You may even be able to convince your instructor to go with you—or maybe he or she is already there every week! Former CIM instructor Tom Lockney runs a learner's session at Keegan's pub on Sundays from 4-6pm that many of our students attend.
- Instruments FAQ page - there is a small amount of information about where/how to buy Irish traditional instruments and recommendations of local businesses that will help you with repairs. This information comes directly from our instructors - they are your best resource for any instrument-related questions!
- Local Music Competitions & Midwest Fleadh Cheoil pages - for those of you who benefit from the pressure of a good, solid deadine (that is likely most of you)! We highly recommend these opportunities, particularly for under-18 musicians, as a way to improve and increase your enjoyment of the music.
CIM Google Calendar
We keep this google calendar up to date with events, classes, workshops, board meetings and event planning committee meetings.
Visit this google document to learn about how to stay connected to things at CIM!